Newtown Saville  County Tyrone


In 1837, Samuel Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland described Newtown Saville like this:

NEWTOWN-SAVILLE, an ecclesiastical district, in the barony of CLOGHER, county of TYRONE, and province of ULSTER, 4 ½ miles (N.) from Clogher, on the new road from Dublin to Omagh; the population is returned with Clogher. The lands were part of those granted, by Jas. I., in 1610, to Sir W. ...

Cope, then called Derrybard; and, in 1619, a bawn was built thereon. It comprises 13,7685 statute acres, and was formed, in 1820, by disuniting 29 townlands from the parish of Clogher, in the manors of Cecil and Cope, at which time the district was an entire waste of unenclosed and uncultivated common, having been since reclaimed by the judicious management of the proprietor. The land varies in quality, some being light, some indifferent, and some good, but there is none of the best description; a small portion is mountain: yet, in consequence of its judicious management, where nothing but bog and heath was to be found 20 years since, crops of corn, flax, and potatoes, and the richest verdure, are now general. The inhabitants combine spinning and weaving with agricultural pursuits. There are indications of coal, and pure specimens of carbonate of lead have been discovered: excellent freestone is found in several parts. Numerous escars run entirely through the district, curiously undulating, and rising into gentle swells consisting of sand and water-worn pebbles, principally of trap, greenstone, hornblende, quartz, porphyry and agate. The village is small, comprising only 17 poorly built houses: a court is held here, once a month, for the manor of Cecil and Cope, for the recovery of debts under 40s. Fairs were formerly held, but have been discontinued owing to the numerous quarrels to which they led. Cecil is the handsome residence of the Rev. F. Gervais, the spirited proprietor of the district; Raveagh, of Captain Edwards; and the glebe-house, of the Rev. H. A. Burke, around which are beautiful plantations. The living is a perpetual cure, in the diocese of Clogher, and in the patronage of the Dean, who appropriates £60 per ann. towards the income of the curate. The glebe-house was erected in 1824, by aid of a gift of £450, and a loan of £50, from the late Board of First Fruits: the glebe comprises 15 acres, valued at £15 per annum. The church was built in 1815, at an expense of £895, of which the same Board gave £738, and the proprietor of the estate the residue: it is a neat edifice, in the Gothic style, with a lofty square tower. At Escragh is a R. C. chapel, and there is a meeting-house for Presbyterians in connection with the Associate Synod at Longridge. A school-house at Beltony, with a residence for the master and mistress, was built partly by the Rev. F. Gervais and partly by the trustees of Erasmus Smith's charity; the school is endowed with two acres of land by the Rev. F. Gervais. Escragh male and female school is principally supported by the perpetual curate; Lislee school is supported by R. W. Maxwell, Esq.; Tullyvernon school was built and is supported by the Rev. F. Gervais; and there is one at Escragh Bridge in connection with the National Board, in which divine service is every Sunday performed by the curate, as it is 3 ½ miles from the church.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Newtown Saville, in and County Tyrone | Map and description, A Vision of Ireland through Time.


Date accessed: 28th May 2024

Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Ireland through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Newtown Saville".