Place:


Ravenstone  Buckinghamshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Ravenstone like this:

RAVENSTONE, a village and a parish in Newport-Pagnell district, Bucks. The village stands 1 mile S of the boundary with Northamptonshire, and 3 W of Olney r. station; and has a postal wall-box under Newport-Paguell. The parish comprises 2, 230 acres. Real property, £2, 182. Pop., 400. Houses, 103. ...


The property is divided between two; and the manor belongs to G. Finch, Esq. A black priory was founded here in l246, and was given to Cardinal Wolsey. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £106.* Patron, G. Finch, Esq. The church is Norman, in good condition; and contains a very fine monument of Lord Chancellor Finch. There are an endowed school with £150 a year, and alms-houses with £282.

Ravenstone through time

Ravenstone is now part of Milton Keynes district. Click here for graphs and data of how Milton Keynes has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Ravenstone itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Ravenstone, in Milton Keynes and Buckinghamshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2928

Date accessed: 27th October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Ravenstone ".