Place:


Valencia  County Kerry

 

In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Valencia like this:

Valentia Island, island and par., SW. co. Kerry, 4 miles SW. of Cahersiveen, 6371 ac., pop. 2240; P.O., T.O. The island, 6 miles long and 2 miles broad, is separated on the N. from the mainland by Valentia Harbour, and on the E. by a strait less than 1 mile wide. It nearly all belongs to the Knight of Kerry. The station of the Anglo-American Telegraph Company is situated on this island. Slate is quarried and exported. On Cromwell Point is a lighthouse 48 ft high, with fixed light (Valentia) 54 ft. above high water and seen 12 miles.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Valencia, in and County Kerry | Map and description, A Vision of Ireland through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofireland.org/place/28866

Date accessed: 25th April 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Ireland through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Valencia".