Place:


South Moreton  Berkshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described South Moreton like this:

MORETON (SOUTH), a village and a parish in Wallingford district, Berks. The village stands on a small affluent of the river Thames, near the Great Western railway, 2¾ miles N W of Wallingford-Road r. station, and 4 WSW of Wallingford; and has a post office under Wallingford. The parish contains also the hamlet of Fulscot, and comprises 1,470 acres. ...


Real property, £2,711. Pop., 371. Houses, 81. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to J. Sadgrove, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £250.* Patron, Magdalen Hall, Oxford. The church is early English, in good condition; and comprises two aisles, part of one of which forms the chancel. There are an Independent chapel, a national school, and charities £50.

South Moreton through time

South Moreton is now part of South Oxfordshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Oxfordshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about South Moreton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of South Moreton, in South Oxfordshire and Berkshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2879

Date accessed: 27th October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " South Moreton ".