Place:


Llandysilio  Montgomeryshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Llandysilio like this:

LLANDYSILIO, a village and a parish in Llanfyllin district, Montgomery. The village stands on Offa's dyke, on the river Vyrnwy, adjacent to the Montgomery canal, the Oswestry and Welshpool railway, and the boundary with Salop, near Llanymynech and Four Crosses r. stations, 6 miles S by W of Oswestry; and is a seat of petty sessions.—The parish includes the townships of Domgay, Haughton, Rhusnant, and Rhantregynwen; and is traversed by a Roman road. ...


Post town, Oswestry. Acres, 3,141. Real property, £5,808. Pop. in 1851, 557; in 1861,689. Houses, 130. The property is subdivided. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St. Asaph. Value, £430. * Patron, the Bishop of St. David's. The church is old.

Llandysilio through time

Llandysilio is now part of Powys district. Click here for graphs and data of how Powys has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Llandysilio itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Llandysilio, in Powys and Montgomeryshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2853

Date accessed: 27th October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Llandysilio ".