Ormside  Westmorland


In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Ormside like this:

ORMSIDE, or Ormes-Head, a parish in East Ward district, Westmoreland; on the river Eden, 2 miles S S E of Appleby r. station. It contains the two small villages of Great Ormside and Little Ormside; and its post town is Appleby, under Penrith. Acres, 2, 430. Real property, £1, 611. Pop, 188. ...

Houses, 29. The property is divided among a few. The manor belonged to the Vescis; passed to the Radcliffes, the Pickerings, the Hyltons, and others; and belongs now to Sir R. Tufton, Bart. Ormside Hall is an old seat; and Breeks Hall was the seat of the Bartons. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £166.* Patron, the Bishop of Carlisle. The church is ancient, with a tower; includesa private chapel of the Tuftons; contains three brasses of the 17th century; and was reported in 1859 as not good. There is a national school.

Ormside through time

Ormside is now part of Eden district. Click here for graphs and data of how Eden has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Ormside itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Ormside, in Eden and Westmorland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.


Date accessed: 19th September 2021

Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Ormside ".