Place:


St Martin in Meneage  Cornwall

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described St Martin in Meneage like this:

MARTIN (ST.)-IN-MENEAGE, a village and a Iparish in Helston district, Cornwall. The village stands on the river Hel, 5¾ miles SE by E of Helston, and 9 S by W of Penrhyn r. station. The parish comprises 2,294 acres of land, and 75 of water. Post town, Helston, Cornwall. Real property, £1,809. ...


Pop. in 1851,522; in 1861,419. Houses, 95. The property is divided amoug a few. Tremayne was the seat of the Tremayne fam ily, and the residence of Capt. Wallis, the circnmnavigator. Trelowarren is a chief residence. The rocks include limestone and serpentine. An ancient camp, occupying 14 acres, and surrounded by a very deep fosse, is at Gear; and another ancient camp is at Carvallack. The living is a rectory, annexed to the rectory of Mawgan, in the diocese of Exeter. The church was rebuilt in 1830, but retains the tower of the previous edifice. There are a Wesleyan chapel and a national school.

St Martin in Meneage through time

St Martin in Meneage is now part of Kerrier district. Click here for graphs and data of how Kerrier has changed over two centuries. For statistics about St Martin in Meneage itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of St Martin in Meneage, in Kerrier and Cornwall | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2825

Date accessed: 10th April 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " St Martin in Meneage ".