Place:


Seaton  County Durham

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Seaton like this:

SEATON-CAREW, a village and a township-chapelry in Stranton parish, Durham. The village stands on the coast, near the West Hartlepool railway, 2 miles S by E of West Hartlepool; is a sea-bathing resort, with firm level sands 5 miles long; commands fine views to Hartlepool and nearly to Whitby; surrounds three sides of agreen, with the fourth side open to the sea; includes, to the S, a long line of houses facing the sea; and has a post-office‡ under West Hartlepool, a r. ...


station with telegraph, and a hotel. The chapelry comprises 2, 870 acres ofland, and 2,015 of water. Real property, £5, 795. Pop.in 1851, 728; in 1861, 884. Houses, 187. The property is much subdivided. A Gilbertine priory, a cell to Sempringham, was here; but has left no remains. Vestiges of Roman buildings are occasionally found in the sands. Remains of fortifications, built in 1667, to defend the mouth of the Tees, are on the small promontory of Seaton-Snook, 1½ mile S S E of the village. Two lighthouses stand to the N of the village; were erected in 1839; and have fixed lights, 89 and 34 feet high. Some salmon-fishing is carried on. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Durham. Value, £150.* Patron, the Rev. J. Lawson, The church was built in 1831. There are a Wesleyan chapel and a national school.

Seaton through time

Seaton is now part of Hartlepool district. Click here for graphs and data of how Hartlepool has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Seaton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Seaton, in Hartlepool and County Durham | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2776

Date accessed: 15th June 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Seaton ".