Place:


Huntington  Herefordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Huntington like this:

HUNTINGTON, a parish and a hundred in Herefordshire. The parish lies on the river Arrow, adjacent to Radnorshire, 4 miles SW of Kington r. station; is in Presteigne district; and has fairs on 18 July and 13 Nov. Post town, Kington. Acres, 1, 937. Real property, £2, 227. Pop., 260. Houses, 50. ...


The property is divided among three. Ruins exist of an ancient castle, built for the defence of the marches. The living is a rectory, annexed to the vicarage of Kington, in the diocese of Hereford. The church is modern, and has a wooden bell turret. There are an Independent chapel and a free school, the latter with £118 a year from endowment.-The hundred contains also seven other parishes. Acres, 27, 909. Pop., 6, 028. Houses, 1, 255.

Huntington through time

Huntington is now part of Herefordshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Herefordshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Huntington itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Huntington in Herefordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2763

Date accessed: 26th February 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Huntington ".