Place:


Lugwardine  Herefordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Lugwardine like this:

LUGWARDINE, a parish, with a village, in the district and county of Hereford; on the river Long, 1¼ mile SE of Wettington r. station, and 3 E by N of Hereford. Post town, Hereford. Acres, 2,097. Real property, £6,064. Pop. in 1851,670; in 1861,748. Houses, 151. The property is subdivided. ...


Longworth, Lugwardine Court, New Court, Hagley Park, Hephill, and Wilcroft are chief residences. A three-arched bridge spans the Lug. Hops are grown, and encaustic tiles are made. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £440.* Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Hereford. The church is ancient but good; and has a massive tower, with some curious sculptures. There are a Roman Catholic chapel, a national school, and charities, £26.

Lugwardine through time

Lugwardine is now part of Herefordshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Herefordshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Lugwardine itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Lugwardine in Herefordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2758

Date accessed: 03rd December 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Lugwardine ".