Place:


Snelston  Derbyshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Snelston like this:

SNELSTON, a parish, with a village, in Ashborne district, Derby; on the river Dove, 2 miles NE of Norbury r. station, and 3¼ SW of Ashborne. It has a post-office under Ashborne. Acres, 1,960. Real property, £3,835; of which £61 are in quarries. Pop., 317. Houses, 70. The manor, with S. Hall, belongs to J. Harrison, Esq. The living is a p. curacy, annexed to Norbury. The church is later English. There are a parochial school, and charities £22.

Snelston through time

Snelston is now part of Derbyshire Dales district. Click here for graphs and data of how Derbyshire Dales has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Snelston itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Snelston in Derbyshire Dales | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2738

Date accessed: 16th January 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Snelston ".