Place:


Church Gresley  Derbyshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Church Gresley like this:

CHURCH-GRESLEY, a township in the district of Burton-upon-Trent, and a parish in the districts of Burton-upon-Trent and Ashby-de-la-Zouch, and county of Derby. The township lies around Gresley r. station, 4½ miles SE of Burton-upon-Trent. Pop., 2, 108. Houses, 395. The parish includes the townships of Swadlincote, Drakelow, Linton, Castle-Gresley, and parts of Donisthorpe and Oakthorpe hamlets; and its post town is Swadlincote, under Burton-upon-Trent. ...


Acres, 6, 700. Real property, with the rest of D. and O., £25, 996; of which £8, 269 are in mines. Pop., 4, 416. Houses, 852. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £108.* The church is Norman, and was about to be restored in 1869. Patron, the Rev. Dr. Lloyd. The vicarage of Swadlincote is a separate benefice. There are a P. Methodist chapel and a national school.

Church Gresley through time

Church Gresley is now part of South Derbyshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Derbyshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Church Gresley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Church Gresley in South Derbyshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2704

Date accessed: 07th March 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Church Gresley ".