Place:


Garry  Inverness Shire

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Garry like this:

Glengarry, a beautiful Highland glen in Kilmonivaig parish, W Inverness-shire, traversed by the river Garry winding 18 7/8 miles eastward, out of Loch Quoich, and through Loch Garry, till it falls into Loch Oich at Invergarry, 7 ½ miles SW of Fort Augustus. ...


From the beginning of the 16th century Glengarry was held by the Macdonnells, the last of whose chiefs, Col. Alexander Ranaldson Macdonnell, maintained to the day of his death (1828) the style of living of his ancestors, and is deemed the prototype of Fergus Mac Ivor in Waverley. His son was compelled to dispose of Glengarry to the Marquis of Huntly, and emigrated to America. By the marquis it was resold in 1840 for £91,000 to Lord Ward (afterwards Earl of Dudley), and by him in 1860 for £120,000 to the late Edward Ellice, Esq. of Glenquoich (1810-80), who sat as Liberal member for the St Andrews burghs from 1837 till his death, and who held 99,545 acres in Inverness-shire, valued at £6721 per annum. This acreage includes the 25,000 acres of Glenquoich deer forest, to the N of Loch Quoich and the upper waters of the Garry. Let for £1800 a year to Michael Arthur Bass, Esq., M.P. for Stafford (b. 1837), Glenquoich forest was estimated in 1880 to contain between 800 and 900 stags and 1700 hinds. The seats of the Glengarry property, old and new, are noticed under Invergarry. A quoad sacra parish of Glengarry is in the presbytery of Abertarff and synod of Glenelg; the minister's stipend is £120. Its church, 7 ¾ miles W of Invergarry, is an Early English edifice of 1865. Two public schools, Invergarry and Inshlaggan, with respective accommodation for 112 and 40 children, had (1881) an average attendance of 44 and 11, and grants of £50 and £21, 16s. Pop. of q. s. parish (1871) 692, (1881) 627, of whom 469 were Gaelic-speaking, and 74 were in Boleskine and Abertarff parish.—Ord. Sur., shs. 62, 63, 1875-73.

Garry through time

Garry is now part of Highland district. Click here for graphs and data of how Highland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Garry itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Garry, in Highland and Inverness Shire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/27022

Date accessed: 27th January 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Garry ".