Place:


Cheriton Bishop  Devon

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Cheriton Bishop like this:

CHERITON-BISHOP, a parish in Crediton distriet, Devon, 5 miles SW of Crediton r. station, and 10 W of Exeter. It includes the hamlet of Cheriton-Cross, and part of the village of Crockernwell; and has a post office under Exeter. Acres, 4, 875. Real property, £4, 094. Pop., 696. Houses, 142. ...


The property is subdivided. The manor belonged formerly to the bishops of Exeter; passed, in the time of Henry VIII., to the Crown; and belongs now to R. L. Pennell, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £321.* Patron, the Bishop of Exeter. The church is perpendicular English; and consists of nave, north aisle, south porch, and chancel, with a square tower. There are a Wesleyan chapel, and charities £16.

Cheriton Bishop through time

Cheriton Bishop is now part of Mid Devon district. Click here for graphs and data of how Mid Devon has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Cheriton Bishop itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Cheriton Bishop in Mid Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2701

Date accessed: 10th May 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Cheriton Bishop ".