Place:


Castle Grant  Moray

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Castle Grant like this:

Castle-Grant, a mansion in Cromdale parish, Inverness-shire, 2¼ miles W of the river Spey, and 2½ NNE of Grantown. A plain old castellated edifice, consisting of a high quadrangular five-storied pile, with lower lateral wings, it underwent extensive repairs and improvements about 1836; it contains a superb dining-room, 47 feet by 27; and its extensive grounds are finely adorned with venerable trees, and command an imposing prospect, bounded on the sky-line by the Grampians. ...


On 5 Sept. 1860, the Queen and Prince Consort drove incognito to Castle-Grant-'a fine (not Highland-looking) park, with a very plain-looking house, like a factory.' Castle-Grant is the ancestral seat of the Grants of Grant, of whom Sir Lewis Alex. Grant, Bart., succeeded in 1811 to the lands and earldom of Seafield; his great-nephew Ian Charles Grant Ogilvie, eighth Earl of Seafield since 1701 (b. 1851; suc. 1881), holds in the shire 160,224 acres, valued at £16,478 per annum. See also Cullen and Balmacaan.

Additional information about this locality is available for Cromdale

Castle Grant through time

Castle Grant is now part of Highland district. Click here for graphs and data of how Highland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Castle Grant itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Castle Grant, in Highland and Moray | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/26993

Date accessed: 26th July 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Castle Grant ".