Place:


Swona  Orkney

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Swona like this:

Swona, an island of South Ronaldshay parish, Orkney, at the entrance of Scapa-Flow from the Pentland Firth, 2¼ miles W by S of Barth Head in South Ronaldshay island, and 3¾ miles SE of Cantick Head in Walls. It measures 1½ mile in length, and 3½ furlongs in extreme breadth; is strongly swept by the tidal currents of the Pentland Firth; and gives the name of Wells of Swona to whirlpools in its vicinity. Pop. (1861) 46, (1871) 47, (1881 496.

Additional information about this locality is available for South Ronaldsay

Swona through time

Swona is now part of Orkney Islands district. Click here for graphs and data of how Orkney Islands has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Swona itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Swona in Orkney Islands | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/26957

Date accessed: 13th June 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Swona".