Place:


Moriston  Inverness Shire

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Moriston like this:

Glen Moriston (Gael. gleann-mor-easan, ' valley of the great cascades '), a beautiful glen in Urquhart and Glenmoriston parish, NE Inverness-shire, traversed by the impetuous river Moriston, flowing 19¼ miles east-north-eastward from Loch Clunie (606 feet above sea-level) to Loch Ness (48 feet) at Invermoriston, 7 miles NNE of Fort Augustus. ...


Near Invermoriston House and Hotel is Glenmoriston post office, with money order, savings' bank, and telegraph departments; and near Torgyle Bridge and Inn, 9 miles higher up, are an Established mission church, a Free church, and a Roman Catholic church (1841; 100 sittings), all three designated of Glenmoriston. From Torgyle downwards the glen is finely wooded with birch and fir; and it takes up a road to Glenshiel, Glenelg, and Skye. The ancient parish of Glenmoriston, at one time annexed to Abertarf, has been united to Urquhart since the Reformation era. Pop. of registration district (1871) 565, (1881) 425.—Ord. Sur., Sh. 72, 73, 1880-78.

Moriston through time

Moriston is now part of Highland district. Click here for graphs and data of how Highland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Moriston itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Moriston, in Highland and Inverness Shire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/26953

Date accessed: 27th January 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Moriston ".