Innes  Moray


In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Innes like this:

Innes House, a seat of the Earl of Fife, in Urquhart parish, Elginshire, 6 miles NE of Elgin. Built in 1640-53 from designs by William Aitoun (the architect probably of Heriot's Hospital), and greatly improved about 1825, it consists of two four-story wings and a massive square tower, with a neat private chapel, some good paintings, beautiful gardens, and a fine broad avenue. ...

The barony of Innes was held by the Inneses from the latter half of the 12th century till 1767, when Sir James Innes, sixth Bart. since 1625, who in 1812 succeeded to the dukedom of Roxburghe, sold it to James, second Earl of Fife.—Ord. Sur., sh. 95, 1876. See Duff House, and vol. iii. of Billings' Baronial Antiquities (1852).

Additional information about this locality is available for Urquhart

Innes through time

Innes is now part of Moray district. Click here for graphs and data of how Moray has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Innes itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Innes in Moray | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.


Date accessed: 13th June 2024

Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Innes".