Place:


Calke  Derbyshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Calke like this:

CALKE, or Caulk, a parish in the district of Ashby-de-la-Zouch and county of Derby; on the SE verge of the county, 4 miles N of Ashby-de-la-Zouch r. station. Post Town, Ticknall, under Derby. Acres, 880. Real property, £987. Pop., 78. Houses, 14. An Augustinian priory was founded here, in 1160, by the Countess of Chester; a mansion on the site of the priory, and called Calke-Abbey, was erected, in the early part of last century, by Sir John Harpur; and this is now the seat of Sir J. ...


H. Crewe, Bart. The living is a donative in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £34. Patron, Sir J. H. Crewe, Bart. The church was built in 1826; is a handsome Gothic edifice, with a square tower; and contains a fine monument to the Harpurs.

Calke through time

Calke is now part of South Derbyshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Derbyshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Calke itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Calke in South Derbyshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2690

Date accessed: 18th January 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Calke ".