Place:


Breadsall  Derbyshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Breadsall like this:

BREADSALL, a parish in Shardlow district, Derbyshire; on the Little Eaton canal and the Midland railway, 2½ miles NNE of Derby. It has a post office under Derby. Acres, 2,410. Real property, £4,114. Pop., 592. Houses, 135. The property is divided among a few. A fine building-stone is quarried. ...


A small priory was founded by the Dethicks, in the time of Henry III.; was given, at the dissolution, to the Duke of Suffolk; passed to. Sir John Bentley, to Erasmus Darwin, and to Sir Francis Darwin; was purchased, in the present century by Francis Morley, Esq.; underwent, in 1861, extensive restoration; and is now a beautiful specimen of pointed architecture, with a tower 70 feet high, commanding a view to Lichfield cathedral. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £580.* Patron, Sir J. H. Crewe, Bart. The church is decorated English, in good condition. There are a Wesleyan chapel, an endowed national school, and charities £70. Hierom, the abridger of Poole's "Synopsis," was rector; and Dr. Darwin, the naturalist, was a resident.

Breadsall through time

Breadsall is now part of Erewash district. Click here for graphs and data of how Erewash has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Breadsall itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Breadsall, in Erewash and Derbyshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2689

Date accessed: 04th April 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Breadsall ".