North Queensferry  Fife


In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described North Queensferry like this:

Queensferry, North, a village of Fife in the detached section of the civil parish of Dunfermline, but (since 1855) in the ecclesiastical parish of Inverkeithing, at the extremity of Ferryhill peninsula, on the N coast of the Firth of Forth, directly opposite Queensferry, and 1¾ mile S of Inverkeithing. ...

William, Bishop of St Andrews, in 1323 gave its chapel of St James to the abbey of Dunfermline; in 1781, after the visit of Paul Jones to the firth, it acquired a battery, long ago dismantled. A favourite summer resort for sea-bathing, it has a post office, with money order, savings' bank, and telegraph departments, a railway station, a coastguard station, a Free church, and a public school. Pop. (1831) 434, (1861) 369, (1871) 382, (1881) 360.—Ord. Sur., sh. 32, 1857.

Additional information about this locality is available for Dunfermline

North Queensferry through time

North Queensferry is now part of Fife district. Click here for graphs and data of how Fife has changed over two centuries. For statistics about North Queensferry itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of North Queensferry in Fife | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.


Date accessed: 27th May 2024

Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "North Queensferry".