Place:


Achnacarry  Inverness Shire

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Achnacarry like this:

Achnacarry, the estate of Cameron of Lochiel, in Kilmalie parish, Inverness-shire, extends from Loch Archaig to Loch Lochy, on either side of the river Archaig, 12 miles NNE of its post-town, Fort William. It came about 1664 into undisputed possession of Sir Ewan Cameron (1629-1719), the ' Ulysses of the Highlands, ' but was forfeited by his grandson Donald, the ' Gentle Lochiel, ' for his share in the '45, and not restored to the family till 1784. ...


Part of the ruined castle, burned by Cumberland's troops, remains: and close to it is the modern Achnacarry House, which, with its noble avenue of ancient plane-trees and its wooded hills, Prince Charles's lurking-place in the August after Culloden, is one of the loveliest of Highland seats.

Additional information about this locality is available for Kilmallie

Achnacarry through time

Achnacarry is now part of Highland district. Click here for graphs and data of how Highland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Achnacarry itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Achnacarry, in Highland and Inverness Shire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/26858

Date accessed: 15th April 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Achnacarry ".