Place:


Skerries  Orkney

 

In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Skerries like this:

Pentland Skerries, group of islands, South Ronaldshay par., Orkney, at E. entrance of Pentland Firth, 4½ miles NE. of Duncansbay Head, pop. 17; on the Muckle Skerry are 2 lighthouses 118 and 88 ft. high, with fixed lights (Pentland Skerries) 170 and 140 ft. above high water and seen 19 and 18 miles.

Additional information about this locality is available for South Ronaldsay

Skerries through time

Skerries is now part of Orkney Islands district. Click here for graphs and data of how Orkney Islands has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Skerries itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Skerries in Orkney Islands | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/26842

Date accessed: 27th May 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Skerries".