Place:


High Bickington  Devon

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described High Bickington like this:

BICKINGTON (High), a parish and a subdistrict in Torrington district, Devon. The parish lies on the river Taw, and on the North Devon railway, 2 miles NW of the Portsmouth Arms r. station, and 7 ½ E of Torrington. Post Town, Atherington, under Barnstaple. Acres, 4,194. Real property, £3,384. ...


Pop., 738. Houses, 150. The property is subdivided. The manor belongs to A. D. Bassett, Esq. A weekly market was held for some time prior to 1725. The parish is a resort of sportsmen. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £475.* Patron, the Rev. S. Palmer. The church is an ancient edifice of nave, chancel, north aisle, and south transept. There are chapels for Baptists and Bible Christians, and charities £12.-The subdistrict comprises five parishes. Acres, 17,455. Pop., 2,937. Houses, 574.

High Bickington through time

High Bickington is now part of Torridge district. Click here for graphs and data of how Torridge has changed over two centuries. For statistics about High Bickington itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of High Bickington, in Torridge and Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2682

Date accessed: 25th October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " High Bickington ".