Place:


Hampton Bishop  Herefordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hampton Bishop like this:

HAMPTON BISHOP, a village and a parish in the district and county of Hereford. The village stands between the rivers Wye and Lugg, 2½ miles SSW of Withington r. station, and 4 SE by E of Hereford; and has a post office under Hereford. The parish includes also the township of Tupsley, and comprises 2, 845 acres. ...


Real property, £7, 967. Pop. in 1851, 913; in 1861, 1, 047. Houses, 203. The property is much subdivided. Some of the inhabitants are employed in making baskets and sieves. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £413.* Patron, the Bishop of Hereford. The church is ancient; was recently restored; and contains a monument to Col. Weare. The township of Tupsley was recently constituted a separate charge, and has a church of 1866. Charities, £16.

Hampton Bishop through time

Hampton Bishop is now part of Herefordshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Herefordshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Hampton Bishop itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hampton Bishop in Herefordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2675

Date accessed: 03rd December 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Hampton Bishop ".