Broughton  Hampshire


In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Broughton like this:

BROUGHTON, a village, a parish, and a subdistrict in Stockbridge district, Hants. The village stands on the Roman road from Winchester to Salisbury, probably on the site of the station Brigis or Brige, near the river Anton and the Andover railway, 4½ miles SW of Stockbridge. It has a post office under Winchester; and a fair is held at it on the first Monday of July. ...

The parish includes also the tything of Frenchmoor and the hamlet of Pittleworth. Acres, inclusive of the extra-parochial tract of Crown-Farm, 4,356. Real property, £6,327. Pop., 1,001. Houses, 231. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory, united with the p. curacy of Bossington, in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £748.* Patron, H. Lee, Esq. The church is good; and there are chapels for Independents, Baptists, and Wesleyans. A school has £69 from endowment; and other charities £41. Queeuwood college, a large establislment for agricultural training, is in the neighbourhood.-The subdistrict contains five parishes, most of another parish, and two extra-parochial tracts. Acres, 24,694. Pop., 3,709. Houses, 780.

Broughton through time

Broughton is now part of Test Valley district. Click here for graphs and data of how Test Valley has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Broughton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Broughton, in Test Valley and Hampshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.


Date accessed: 21st June 2024

Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Broughton".