Place:


Cheriton  Hampshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Cheriton like this:

CHERITON, a village and a parish in Alresford district, Hants. The village stands near the Guildford, Alton, Alresford, and Winchester railway, 3 miles S by W of New Alresford, and 6¾ E of Winchester; has a post office under Alresford; and was the scene of a battle in 1644, called Alresford fight. ...


The parish comprises 3, 030 acres. Real property, £7, 647. Pop, 621. Houses, 128. The surface is partly hilly. The living is a rectory, united with the p. curacies of Beauworth, Kilmeston, and Titchbourn, in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £1, 192.* Patron, the Bishop of Winchester. The church is early English; and has a tower partly transition Norman, partly modern. Charities, £12.

Cheriton through time

Cheriton is now part of Winchester district. Click here for graphs and data of how Winchester has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Cheriton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Cheriton, in Winchester and Hampshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2628

Date accessed: 18th June 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Cheriton".