Place:


St Johns  the Isle of Man

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described St Johns like this:

JOHN'S (ST.), a chapelry in Kirk-German parish, Isle of Man; on the Neb river, at Tynwald Hill, under Slieuwhallin, 3¼ miles ESE of Peel. It has a post office under Douglas, Isle of Man. The statistics of it are returned with the parish. Tynwald Hill here-called also Cronk-y-Keillown, signifying St. ...


John's-Church-Hill- is an artificial mound, 240 feet in circumference; rises by four circular platforms, each 3 feet higher than the one below it; is fenced round by a wall, with a gate; is said to have been formed of earth, brought from each parish of the island; and has annually, for at least 400 years, been the scene of a public assembly, somewhat of the nature of the old Scandinavian Ting or Thing. Two great battles were fought in its vicinity in 1229 and 1238. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Sodor and Man. Value, £86. * Patron, the Crown. The incumbent has a commission to act as royal chaplain on 5 July. The church was built in 1849; is in the early decorated style, cruciform, without aisles; and has a trigonal apse, a S porch, and a W tower and spire. Outside the church is a Runic monument, with some fine cablework, and an almost illegible inscription.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of St Johns, in and the Isle of Man | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/26271

Date accessed: 18th January 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " St Johns ".