Place:


Sulby  the Isle of Man

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Sulby like this:

SULBY, a village, a chapelry, and a river, in the Isle of Man. The village stands on the river, 4 miles W of Ramsey, and has a post-office under Douglas, Isle of Man. -The chapelry is in Kirk-Lezayre parish, but has no defined limits. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Sodor and Man. Value, £60. Patron, the Bishop. -The river rises among the loftiest mountains of the island; runs 6 miles northward to S. village, and thence eastward to the sea at Ramsey; and is noted for the picture squeness of its glen, and for a fine waterfall.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Sulby, in and the Isle of Man | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/26269

Date accessed: 27th October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Sulby ".