Place:


Ramsey  the Isle of Man

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Ramsey like this:

RAMSEY, a town in Kirk-Maughold parish, Isle of Man; on the N E coast, at the mouth of the river Sulby, 14 miles N N E of Douglas. It occupies a charmingsituation, with fine sands extending 1 mile to the S and 4 miles to the N; is overlooked, in the S S W vicinity, by North Barrule, mountain, 1,842 feet high; confronts the middle of a crescental sweep of sea, measuring 5½ miles along the chord, and called Ramsey bay; figures in theearliest records of the island, and in many interesting events of Manx history; is the seat of deemster's, vicar-general's, and high bailiff's courts; ranks as a port; and has a post-office‡ under Douglas, Isle of Man, two chiefhotels, a three-arched bridge, a court-house, two churches, a United Presbyterian chapel, a Wesleyan chapel, a grammar-school, and a recently erected pier, with light-house 25 feet high. ...


St. Paul's church was erected in 1819; and is served by a p. curate appointed by the Bishop of Sodor and Man. Ballure chapel was re-built in 1747, and restored in 1850; and is served by theclergy of St. Pauls. Steamers ply regularly to Liverpool and Whitehaven. Pop. in 1851, 2, 701; in 1861, 2, 891. Houses, 453.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Ramsey, in and the Isle of Man | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/26266

Date accessed: 24th October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Ramsey ".