Place:


Kirk Michael  the Isle of Man

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Kirk Michael like this:

KIRK-MICHAEL, a village and a parish in the NW of the Isle of Man. The village stands on the coast, 7 miles NE of Peel; and has a post office, under Douglas, Isle of Man, the ecclesiastical court house of the diocese of Sodor and Man, and a hotel.—The parish extends 3¾ miles along the coast, and 3½ from the coast inland. ...


Pop. in 1851, 1, 416; in 1861, 1, 314. Houses, 241. The mountains Slieu-Dhoo, Slieu-ne-Fraughane, and Sartel or Sartfeld, with altitudes of 1, 139, 1, 607, and 1, 560 feet, are in the E; and 4 fine glens, Tronk, Balleira, Wyllin, and Mooar, descend from them to the coast. Bishops-Court, the palace of the Bishop of Sodor and Man, is in the N. The living is a vicarage in the dioof Sodor and Man. Value, £165.* Patron, the Crown. The old church was partly rebuilt in 1776, and the new one was built in 1835. The churchyard contains the graves of Bishops Wilson, Hildesley, Criggan, Phillips, and Mason, and no fewer than seven Runic monuments.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Kirk Michael, in and the Isle of Man | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/26255

Date accessed: 17th October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Kirk Michael ".