Place:


Jurby  the Isle of Man

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Jurby like this:

JURBY, a parish in the Isle of Man; on the NW coast, 7½ miles WNW of Ramsey. It has a post office under Douglas, Isle of Man. Length, 4 miles; breadth, 3¼ miles. Pop., 911. Houses, 164. The name is a corruption of Jorabyr or Ivorby, and signifies "Ivar's village." A large white quartz boulder lies on drift gravel near the church. A remarkable fragment of a Runic monument is in the parsonage garden. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Sodor and Man. Value, £170. * Patron, the Bishop of Sodor and Man.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Jurby, in and the Isle of Man | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/26254

Date accessed: 23rd June 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Jurby ".