Place:


Derbyhaven  the Isle of Man

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Derbyhaven like this:

DERBY-HAVEN, a seaport village in Kirk-Malew parish, Isle of Man; 2 miles E by N of Castleton. It is a sub-port to Douglas; and has an excellent harbour, which is sought as a place of safety in stormy weather. A fort was erected on a small island, at the harbour's mouth, in 1667, by an Earl of Derby; and a lighthouse was built 17 years earlier, and shows a light visible at the distance of 11 miles.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Derbyhaven, in and the Isle of Man | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/26250

Date accessed: 18th May 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Derbyhaven".