Place:


Calf of Man  the Isle of Man

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Calf of Man like this:

CALF OF MAN, an island in Rushen parish, Isle of Man; near the south-western extremity of the main island, 6 miles SW by W of Castletown. It is about 4 miles in circuit; has cliffs upwards of 400 feet high; swarms with sea fowls and rabbits; is partly under good culture; and belongs to the Careys. Pop., 25. Two lighthouses are on it, erected in 1818, 560 feet apart, with revolving lights 305 and 396 feet high.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Calf of Man, in and the Isle of Man | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/26246

Date accessed: 18th May 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Calf of Man".