Place:


Arbory  the Isle of Man

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Arbory like this:

KIRK-ARBORY, a parish in the S of the Isle of Man; 3 miles NW by N of Castletown. It contains the village of Colby; and its post town is Castletown, Isle of Man. Pop. in 1851, 1, 593; in 1861, 1, 410. Houses, 270. A large proportion of the land is under tillage. Parville is the seat of the Quirk family. ...


There are several barrows, several inscribed stones, and remains of a Druidical circle. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Sodor and Man. Value, £150.* Patron, the Crown. The church possesses little interest; but the churchyard contains, in an outcast way, an octagonal Norman font. Bishop Wilson personally served the church for a year, during a vacancy; and he built the parsonage. There is a village school.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Arbory, in and the Isle of Man | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/26240

Date accessed: 22nd July 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Arbory".