Place:


Riccarton  Midlothian

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Riccarton like this:

Riccarton, a mansion, with a fine park, in Currie parish, Edinburghshire, 1½ mile NNW of Currie villa e, and 6 miles SW of Edinburgh. Its oldest part, a square tower at the W end, is supposed to have been given by King Robert Bruce as part of the dowry of his daughter, Marjory, on her marriage to Walter, High Steward of Scotland; but the main body of the house was built in 1621; and a large addition in the Elizabethan style was completed in 1827. ...


Sir Thomas Craig of Riccarton (1548-1608) was a distinguished writer on the feudal law; and the estate remained with his descendants till 1823, when it passed to a kinsman, James Gibson, W.S. (1765-18 0), who in 1831 was created a baronet as Sir James Gibson-Craig of Riccarton. He was a Liberal in politics, as likewise was his son, the Rt. Hon. Sir William Gibson-Craig, M.P. (1797-1878), whose son, Sir James Henry, third Bart. (b. 1841), holds 1882 acres in Midlothian, valued at £6037 per annum.—Ord. Sur., sh. 32, 1857. See John Small's Castles and Mansions of the Lothians (Edinb. 1883).

Additional information about this locality is available for Currie

Riccarton through time

Riccarton is now part of Edinburgh district. Click here for graphs and data of how Edinburgh has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Riccarton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Riccarton, in Edinburgh and Midlothian | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/26156

Date accessed: 16th October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Riccarton ".