St Mellion  Cornwall


In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described St Mellion like this:

MELLION (ST.), a village and a parish in St. Germans district, Cornwall. The village stands 2 miles W of the river Tamar at the boundary with Devon, 3 SSE of Callington, and 5¾ NW of Saltash r. station; and has a post office, designated St. Mellion, Cornwall. The parish comprises 2,985 acres. ...

Real property, £1,775. Pop., 299. Houses, 64. The property is divided among a few. Newton House belonged to the Ferrers; passed to the Corytons and the Hallyans; and belongs now to E. Collins, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £232.* Patron, A. Coryton, Esq. The church is later English; was restored in 1862, at a cost of more than £1,000; and contains some curious effigies and armours of the Corytons of the 15th century.

St Mellion through time

St Mellion is now part of Caradon district. Click here for graphs and data of how Caradon has changed over two centuries. For statistics about St Mellion itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of St Mellion, in Caradon and Cornwall | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.


Date accessed: 20th April 2021

Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " St Mellion ".