Place:


Newark  Northamptonshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Newark like this:

NEWARK, a hamlet in Peterborough, St. John the Baptist parish, Northampton; within Peterboroughborough, but 1½ mile N E by E of Peterborough town. Pop., 307. Houses, 59. The land is flat, and mostlyarable. A chapel, dedicated to St. Mary Magdalene, formerlywas here.

Additional information about this locality is available for Peterborough

Newark through time

Newark is now part of Peterborough district. Click here for graphs and data of how Peterborough has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Newark itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Newark, in Peterborough and Northamptonshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/26074

Date accessed: 24th November 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Newark ".