Place:


Rowtor  Derbyshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Rowtor like this:

ROWTOR, a chapelry in Youlgreave parish, Derby; 3½ miles S of Bakewell r. station. Post-town, Bakewell. The statistics are returned with the parish. A ridge ofground here, 120 feet high, is crowned with a logan stone and with other Druidical remains. The living is a p.curacy, conjoint with Stanton, in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, not reported. Patron, W. P. Thornhill, Esq.

Additional information about this locality is available for Birchover

Rowtor through time

Rowtor is now part of Derbyshire Dales district. Click here for graphs and data of how Derbyshire Dales has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Rowtor itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Rowtor in Derbyshire Dales | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/26071

Date accessed: 15th May 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Rowtor ".