Place:


Penton  Cumberland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Penton like this:

PENTON, a village in Kirk-Andrews-upon-Esk parish, Cumberland; on the river Liddel and the North British railway, at the boundary with Scotland, 7 miles N N E of Longtown. It has a station on the railway, and a post-office under Longtown.

Additional information about this locality is available for Nichol Forest

Penton through time

Penton is now part of Carlisle district. Click here for graphs and data of how Carlisle has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Penton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Penton, in Carlisle and Cumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/26067

Date accessed: 17th January 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Penton ".