Place:


Greenacres  Lancashire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Greenacres like this:

GREENACRES MOOR, a chapelry in Prestwich parish; suburban to Oldham. It was constituted recently; and it has a post office† under Oldham, and contains one of the new Oldham cemeteries. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £200. Patron, the Rector of Prestwich. The church is a new stone edifice, in the Gothic style. A new Wesleyan chapel, in lieu of a previous one, was built in 1864.

The location is where the name "Greenacres" appears on the modern 1:50,000 map, and less legibly on the nineteenth century First Series map. Additional information about this locality is available for Oldham

Greenacres through time

Greenacres is now part of Oldham district. Click here for graphs and data of how Oldham has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Greenacres itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Greenacres, in Oldham and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/26039

Date accessed: 24th October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Greenacres ".