Place:


Lindley  Leicestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Lindley like this:

LINDLEY, a hamlet, formerly a chapelry, in Highamon-the-Hill parish, Leicester; near Watling-street, 3¼ miles WNW of Hinckley. Pop., 76. Lindley Hall was formerly the seat of Hardwick, who guided the Earl of Richmond to Bosworth field; was also the residence of W. Burton, the county historian, and of his brother Robert, the author of the "Anatomy of Melancholy; ''and is now the seat of Vincent Eyre, Esq. The quondam chapel is now a cow-house.

Additional information about this locality is available for Higham on the Hill

Lindley through time

Lindley is now part of Hinckley and Bosworth district. Click here for graphs and data of how Hinckley and Bosworth has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Lindley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Lindley, in Hinckley and Bosworth and Leicestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/26022

Date accessed: 28th November 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Lindley ".