Place:


Belmont  Herefordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Belmont like this:

BELMONT, an estate in Herefordshire; on the river Wye, 2 ¼. miles WSW of Hereford. A large Roman Catholic church, and a wing of a Benedictine monastery containing 40 chambers, were built here in 1859. The church is cruciform, in the early English style, very richly decorated; and is surmounted by a tower, intended to be terminated in a spire 210 feet high.

Additional information about this locality is available for Clehonger

Belmont through time

Belmont is now part of Herefordshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Herefordshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Belmont itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Belmont in Herefordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/26007

Date accessed: 29th November 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Belmont ".