Place:


Stanway All Saints  Essex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Stanway All Saints like this:

STANWAY, a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in Lexden district, Essex. The village stands 1 mile E of Marks-Tey r. station, and 4 W by S of Colchester; and has a post-office under Colchester. The parish contains Lexden workhouse, and comprises 3,368 acres. Real property, £5,611. Pop., 964. ...


Houses, 157. The property is divided among a few. S. Hall is the seat of G. De Horne, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £738.* Patron, Magdalen College, Oxford. The church is good; and there is a national school. See Stanway-All Saints.—The sub-district contains 9 parishes. Acres, 17,338. Pop., 4,663. Houses, 918.

The location is that of the ruins of Stanway All Saints church, which the Victoria County History of Essex describes as "beside Stanway Hall in Great Stanway" ('Stanway: Churches', A History of the County of Essex: Volume 10: Lexden Hundred (Part) including Dedham, Earls Colne and Wivenhoe (2001), pp. 270-273; http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=15277, accessed: 17 September 2011). Additional information about this locality is available for Stanway

Stanway All Saints through time

Stanway All Saints is now part of Colchester district. Click here for graphs and data of how Colchester has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Stanway All Saints itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Stanway All Saints, in Colchester and Essex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/25984

Date accessed: 22nd September 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Stanway All Saints ".