Place:


Westward Ho!  Devon

 

In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Westward Ho! like this:

Westward Ho, coast vil., Northam par., Devon, on E. side of Bideford Bay, 3 miles NW. of Bideford; P.O., T.O.; was founded about the year 1867, and has risen rapidly in favour as a watering-place, for which it possesses many facilities, including a fine beach of firm sands, spacious baths, a hotel, and numerous villas and lodging houses. Westward Ho College (opened in 1873) is a military school. Northam Burrows here form excellent links for golfing.

Additional information about this locality is available for Northam

Westward Ho! through time

Westward Ho! is now part of Torridge district. Click here for graphs and data of how Torridge has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Westward Ho! itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Westward Ho!, in Torridge and Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/25964

Date accessed: 06th December 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Westward Ho! ".