Place:


Matlock Bridge  Derbyshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Matlock Bridge like this:

MATLOCK-BRIDGE, a hamlet in Matlock parish, Derbyshire; on the river Derwent, and on the Manchester and Buxton railway, ½ a mile NW of Matlock village. It has a station on the railway, a post office under Matlock-Bath, and a Wesleyan chapel. A company was formed in 1866 to erect at it a hotel, a market-hall, and assembly-room; and the market-hall was opened in 1868.

Additional information about this locality is available for Matlock

Matlock Bridge through time

Matlock Bridge is now part of Derbyshire Dales district. Click here for graphs and data of how Derbyshire Dales has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Matlock Bridge itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Matlock Bridge in Derbyshire Dales | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/25957

Date accessed: 10th May 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Matlock Bridge ".