Place:


Gardden  Denbighshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Gardden like this:

GARTHEN, a place on the SE border of Denbighshire; on Offa's dyke, 1½ mile S of Ruabon. Here is an ancient British camp of 4 acres; and here an English force was defeated, in 1161, by Cyfeiliog, prince of Powys. Garthen Hall is the seat of the Walmsleys; and Pen-y-gar-then was the seat of Rear-Admiral Sir John Marshall.

Additional information about this locality is available for Rhiwabon

Gardden through time

Gardden is now part of Wrexham district. Click here for graphs and data of how Wrexham has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Gardden itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Gardden, in Wrexham and Denbighshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/25953

Date accessed: 04th August 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Gardden ".