Place:


Mortimers Cross  Herefordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Mortimers Cross like this:

MORTIMERS-CROSS, a township in Aymestrey parish, Hereford; on the river Lugg, 5½ miles NW of Leominster. Pop., 40. A severe battle, decisive in favour of the Yorkists, was fought here in Feb. 1460, between the Yorkists under Edward Mortimer, Earl of March, afterwards Edward IV., and the Lancastrians under the Earl of Pembroke; and is commemorated by a pillar erected in 1799.

Additional information about this locality is available for Kingsland

Mortimers Cross through time

Mortimers Cross is now part of Herefordshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Herefordshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Mortimers Cross itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Mortimers Cross in Herefordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/25783

Date accessed: 16th August 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Mortimers Cross ".