Place:


Frongoch  Cardiganshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Frongoch like this:

LISBURNE, a place of lead-mines in the NE of Cardigan; near Hafod-Park, 14 miles ESE of Aberystwith. The mines belong to the Earl of Lisburne, employ a large number of persons, and produce about 3,000 tons of lead a year. The main veins of ore run from E to W, and are from 4 to 6 feet thick; and the lesser veins thin out from the main ones, and can be traced at rocky spots of the hill, and at the sides and in the beds of neighbouring brooks.

A variety of sources say that Frongoch was the main centre of the Lisburn Mines, and that the Lisburne Mines chapel was nearby. More evidence would be helpful. Additional information about this locality is available for Llanafan

Frongoch through time

Frongoch is now part of Ceredigion district. Click here for graphs and data of how Ceredigion has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Frongoch itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Frongoch, in Ceredigion and Cardiganshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/25774

Date accessed: 13th May 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Frongoch ".