Place:


Roberttown  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Roberttown like this:

ROBERTOWN, or Robert-Town, a chapelry in Birstall parish, W. R. Yorkshire; near the Lancashire and Yorkshire railway, 6 miles S E of Bradford. It was constituted in 1847; and its post town is Millbridge, under Normanton. Pop., 2, 256. Houses, 497. There are thread works, chemical works, card-manufactories, and brick-yards. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £150.* Patron, the Vicar of Birstal1. The church is modern, and in the early English style.

Additional information about this locality is available for Liversedge

Roberttown through time

Roberttown is now part of Kirklees district. Click here for graphs and data of how Kirklees has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Roberttown itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Roberttown, in Kirklees and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/25755

Date accessed: 28th May 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Roberttown".